Sunday, November 29, 2020

X ray vision - Choosing Spalted Blanks For Pens

 We have an order for a custom pen and pencil set from an interesting and unusual light wood.

As the order already had a pecan and a mango pen we needed another choice.

My first crab apple pen is boring.  The outside of the blank was exciting, on one side.  But the other sides were white.  This time I looked at al sides and tried to find the best grain and spalting that will show up on the slimline blanks.
After cutting the long blank into sections I was able to look at the ends to see how well my xray vision works.
I may have made a good choice.
Come back to see the if the end results.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Texas Flight

  From a 16" wide plank of old growth teak I cut out a Texas board, then wire brushed it to give it a nice rustic texture, but still sm...